Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Why is your blog so plain?

You've probably seen Powerpoint presentations with lots of bits whizzing in, fancy wipes, flashy background colours. In fact, anything to distract from the lack of content.

Some websites are the same way.

I have an aversion to glossy presentation with no content.

Now I have nothing against a well-presented website or blog that also has content, as long as it's not distracting.

My wish is that the content I present stand or fall on its own merit (I guess I'm not much into the whole "framing" and marketing thing).

If I post good content, it's good, even if it has a vanilla presentation. If it's bad content, I want nothing to stand in the way of that assessment. You should immediately be able to see if my stuff is contentless, and rightly reject it.

I'm wary of going too far in terms of gussying up my blog. I'd prefer plain to distracting.

On top of that, I have a lack of time. If I spend 10 hours playing about making a fancy logo, that's a whole lot of posts I don't have time for. Frankly, I'd rather make the posts.

That said, I may dress it up a little as I go (I've only been doing this blog for six weeks), piece by piece, but it will always be spartan.

No comments: