Friday, November 16, 2007

Adding information about adding information

A number of posts back I was trying to make a point about the fact that even with a straw-man version of biology (and, incidentally, a very narrow definition of information), evolution could add information to the genome, most obviously by duplication followed by mutation. I figured that out for myself (it took me all of about 30 seconds of rumination), but it turns out that cdk007 was there before me - he gives exactly the same example (in a much funnier way) in his video "How Evolution Causes an Increase in Information".

I can only assume many other people have thought of the same thing (if someone as ignorant as me can come up with the example, obviously it's not that hard, unless you're a biochemist or something).

Anyway, I don't think I'll polish the argument I was trying to work on in that earlier post, since cdk makes the point much more succinctly, in the middle of a much more educational work.

No comments: